TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re Western Union Now Blocking Money Transfers to 'Arab-Sounding'

Re Western Union Now Blocking Money Transfers to 'Arab-Sounding'

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:05:02 PDT

Anjan Sundram <ap@telecom-digest.org> on Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:20:14
-0500 wrote:

> Western Union blocks Arab cash transfers
> By ANJAN SUNDARAM, Associated Press Writer

> Money transfer agencies have delayed or blocked thousands of cash
> deliveries on suspicion of terrorist connections simply because
> senders or recipients have names like Mohammed or Ahmed, company
> officials said.

Why should this be any surprise coming from our government who rounded
up anyone who even appeared to be Japanese and sent them to
concentration camps at the beginning of the US involvement in World
War II or even more recently when "enemy combattants" are stored at
Guantanamo, Cuba without benefit of being charged with committing any
crime or let them have any access to an attorney. The US is very
selective about applying protections and only applies them when it's
"convenient" for them to do so.

Go to Next message: Sam Spade: "Re: Caution: Unidentified Callers Ahead"
Go to Previous message: Thomas Daniel Horne: "Re: EFF Defends Liberties in High-Tech World"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page