TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Concession to Modern Technology

Concession to Modern Technology

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
10 Jul 2006 09:52:13 -0700

As regular posters know, I am a major "Luddite". I constantly
question if some new technology is really worth the hype around it and
will truly make things easier for us, on in reality, be more of a
nuisance than the past.

I must admit one new tech item is pretty slick. I just got some
CD-ROMs with .PDF files of various antique telephone manuals and
catalogs. They were very reasonably priced.

The use of .PDF files (a file format used to store images from printed
matter such as books) and the CD ROM media made it easy to copy,
distribute, and use the old stuff. Otherwise, I'd have to purchase
the original manuals at considerably more cost and then only I could
view them; by mass media, many people can benefit. I'd also have a
bunch of old paper lying around the house subject to getting torn or
deteriorating or lost.

(Now if only Adobe wouldn't keep upgrading its free reader every other
day. I use version 5 and now they're up to 7 or 8.)

[public replies, please]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Bell System Interconnect Paging Systems?"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "IBM PC Debut Exhibit"
May be reply: Carl Navarro: "Re: Concession to Modern Technology"
May be reply: NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us: "Re: Concession to Modern Technology"
May be reply: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: Concession to Modern Technology"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page