TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Confused About Net Neutrality

Re: Confused About Net Neutrality

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:48:06 -0400

In article <telecom25.245.2@telecom-digest.org>, jmartineau@gmail.com
wrote:

> Hi,

> Been trying to keep up with the Net Neutrality debate but obviously
> it's a confusing issue. My question is, don't we already pay for faster
> service? Don't websites pay based on the amount of bandwidth they need
> to serve out? I know I pay a premium price for cable internet service
> because I get more bandwidth. Seems like most people are willing to
> keep going as we are now -- where the price is proportional to the
> speed.

The web site owner pays his own ISP (or he pays a hosting operator,
who pays the ISP he connects to), but he's not paying the ISPs that
serve the customers who access his site.

So if you host a web site that's connected to AT&T, and a Verizon
customer accesses your web site, Verizon wants you to pay them extra
to provide additional bandwidth for your connections to their
customers.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Confused About Net Neutrality"
Go to Previous message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: Confused About Net Neutrality"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page