TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Confused About Net Neutrality

Confused About Net Neutrality

jmartineau@gmail.com
30 Jun 2006 06:32:37 -0700

Hi,

Been trying to keep up with the Net Neutrality debate but obviously
it's a confusing issue. My question is, don't we already pay for faster
service? Don't websites pay based on the amount of bandwidth they need
to serve out? I know I pay a premium price for cable internet service
because I get more bandwidth. Seems like most people are willing to
keep going as we are now -- where the price is proportional to the
speed.

How is what the telecoms are proposing different? Are they suggesting
that they should be allowed to arbitrarily limit or increase the
speeds with which certain sites or traffic can reach me, regardless of
what that site and I are paying in terms of bandwidth?

Go to Next message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - June 30, 2006"
Go to Previous message: Kenneth P. Stox: "NorVergence Founders Fined For Fraud"
May be reply: George Mitchell: "Re: Confused About Net Neutrality"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page