TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Two New Services Try to Warn You About Sleazy Sites

Re: Two New Services Try to Warn You About Sleazy Sites

George Mitchell (george@m5p.com)
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:03:50 -0700

In an article from Monty Solomon, our Moderator wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Programs like this, designed to protect
> the average user seem like a good idea, considering how much of the
> internet these days is porn or scam/spam in nature. Does anyone know
> why ICANN has always steadfastly refused to consider top level domain
> names of .spam , .scam , and .porn which would enable most users to
> do a rather good job of filtering? PAT]

Sure would, if the spammers, scammers, and pornsters would
cooperatively run their operations from those top-level domains. But
how many do you think would volutarily register there?

George Mitchell

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Probably none of them would voluntarily
move into the proper category. They'd probably have to be forced into
the proper categories, i.e. if you want connectivity with the net,
you need to be in (whatever) category. It happen that way now with the
top level domains .edu , .mil and .gov . If you are not an EDUcational
or a MILitary or GOVernment entity you do not get in those categories.
Of course this would require some policing efforts by ICANN and its
registrars. I am sure there would be a lot of wimpering and whining by
some folks, but thats' life around the net. PAT]

Go to Next message: George Mitchell: "(Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under Attack"
Go to Previous message: Bob Goudreau: "Re: Campus Fax Finder"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Two New Services Try to Warn You About Sleazy Sites"