TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers

Re: Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers

john@mayson.us
20 May 2006 19:20:25 -0700

> If you'll read the notice it's for people *in* the US and Canada to
> make free calls. It's not for people calling into the US. And indeed
> Skype can indeed determine where you're calling from by the IP address
> used to access the service. It's the same deal that when I'm in
> Israel and access my yahoo mail which is on the US Yahoo service I get
> served Hebrew adverts in Israel. They know where you are really they
> do!! What I get is determined by my originating IP address.

According to their website: "Calling people on Skype is totally free.
It's also free to call landlines and mobiles within the US and Canada
until the end of the year. International calls are pretty cheap too."

I guess I'll find out first-hand next month from Mexico. I will be
VPN'ed into my company's network, so that might not be the best test.
I'll also bring my personal laptop (I planned to anyway) from a
hotspot if I can find one.

John

Go to Next message: George Berger: "Re: BellSouth Demands Retraction of NSA Report from USA Today"
Go to Previous message: john@mayson.us: "Girl Abducted After Making Random Cell Phone Call"
May be in reply to: john@mayson.us: "Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers"