TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: A Storm is Brewing Over Phone Record Collection

Re: A Storm is Brewing Over Phone Record Collection

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
18 May 2006 10:37:15 -0700

Linc Madison wrote:

> I'll save the rant about how the supposed "do not call" registry
> exempts political campaigns for another day, though.

I got a total of 15 (fifteen) calls during this year's primary season.
All recorded messages. In the presidential election they tried to
call my mother repeatedly even though she's off the rolls as she is
no longer with us.

As it turned out, in my area they do not have access to the voter
rolls. They are allowed to sit in the polling place (as poll
watchers) and note the names of those voting and they make up their
lists that way. Obviously if someone is deleted from the rolls they
have no way of knowing it and they'll keep trying to reach the person
even if they're gone or have moved.

> I heard a sound bite yesterday about trying to track down who
> is leaking information to journalists by analysing this kind of
> calling data.

Some years ago a large corporation was upset about leaks to
journalists and demanded and received from the Bell in the HQ toll
records to search for whoever was calling the journalists. Both the
company and Bell got into trouble and bad publicity for that antic. I
can't help but wonder with deregulation and hungry non-regulated
carriers that that sort of thing still goes on under some loophole.

As to the NSA research, frankly at this point I don't have an opinion
because there are good arguments on both sides.

Go to Next message: Mark Crispin: "Re: Free Calls With Skype???"
Go to Previous message: shrike@cyberspace.org: "Re: Antispam Firm Blue Security Says Was Victim of Attack"
May be in reply to: Maxim Kniazkov: "A Storm is Brewing Over Phone Record Collection"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page