TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers

Re: Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers

jmeissen@aracnet.com
17 May 2006 19:59:32 GMT

In article <telecom25.186.6@telecom-digest.org>, <john@mayson.us>
wrote:

> It's been reported here that Skype is allowing users to make free
> calls to the US and Canada during 2006. I have a Skype account, but
> never used it. I tried it last night and it works well. I used my
> iPod earbuds and built-in mic on my iBook and the call was clear.

What wasn't clear to me from the announcement was whether the call is
free if it's placed within the US and Canada, or whether it terminates
whithin the US and Canada. The former implies originating in the
targeted area, whereas the latter could originate anywhere.

I would expect that the latter would apply, since it's just IP network
traffic until it actually transfers onto the traditional phone network
somewhere. But I don't know.

I'm curious, though, because I know someone in Afghanistan who uses
Skype to communicate with relatives in the US. It would make a huge
difference to him.

John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com

Go to Next message: EL2006: "Difficulty Finding Needed Information"
Go to Previous message: Michael Muderick: "Free Calls With Skype???"
May be in reply to: john@mayson.us: "Using Skype to Call NANP Numbers"