TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Telemarketing Law Question

Re: Telemarketing Law Question

Ben Schilling (Ben.Schilling@oci.state.wi.us)
Wed, 17 May 2006 13:39:59 -0500

mc <look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote:

> What legal penalties apply to a telemarketer who autodials all the
> numbers in town that are not on the do-not-call list (without checking
> whether they are homes, businesses, hospitals...)?

> Our whole university was hit with a recorded ad for a local business
> this morning. Receptionists with rollover systems got, of course,
> numerous multiple copies.

If the numbers aren't on a do-not-call list the only penalties would
be those that apply to sending a record message. Check your state
law. I don't know where you are located, but in Wisconsin only
residential numbers can be placed on the do-not-call list.

Ben Schilling
Telecomm Manager, Wis Insurance Comm
608-266-1615 ben.schilling@oci.state.wi.us

Go to Next message: Mr RICK MEREDITH: "Last Laugh! Re: Spammer With a Toll Free Number"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Verizon, AT&T Deny Handing Over Phone Records"
May be in reply to: mc: "Telemarketing Law Question"