TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New York City Fires Employee for Surfing the Web

Re: New York City Fires Employee for Surfing the Web

Linc Madison (lincmad@suespammers.org)
Mon, 08 May 2006 16:20:01 -0700

In article <telecom25.173.15@telecom-digest.org>, Ron Chapman
<ronchapman@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> Choudhri's "abuse of the Internet at the time he is supposed to be
>> performing his job demonstrates his disinterest in the job," Klein
>> said.

> I would feel much better if "Schools Chancellor" Joel Klein knew the
> meaning of the word "disinterest" and how it differs from "lack of
> interest".

Well, I, for one, do know the meaning of the word "disinterest," and I
therefore know that Joel Klein used it correctly.

Disinterest: (noun) 2. lack of interest; indifference.
[source: American Heritage® online dictionary, via ask.com]

Given the context of the remark, it is quite clear that Mr. Klein was
not using it in the sense of "impartiality."

Perhaps you can explain the difference between "lack of interest" and
"lack of interest" for us.

> Maybe the schools should be run by educated people for a change.

Maybe the pot should be more careful in describing the kettle.

Linc Madison * San Francisco, California * lincmad@suespammers.org
<http://www.LincMad.com> * primary e-mail: Telecom at LincMad dot com
Read my political blog, "The Third Path" <http://LincMad.blogspot.com>
DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED E-MAIL TO THIS ADDRESS. You have been warned.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I went back to the original message
and am quoting from it here in the hopes someone will explain all
this to me:

>> Choudhri's "abuse of the Internet at the time he is supposed to be
>> performing his job demonstrates his disinterest in the job," Klein
>> said.

> I would feel much better if "Schools Chancellor" Joel Klein knew the
> meaning of the word "disinterest" and how it differs from "lack of
> interest".

> Maybe the schools should be run by educated people for a change.

Maybe Ron Chapman and Linc Madison can, between them, explain to me
what the difference is. PAT]

Go to Next message: likatrib@gmail.com: "Virtual PBX, Private Phone Systems, PBX Sip, Phone Switches, Pabx"
Go to Previous message: Mark J: "Re: Vonage Customers Get Shares at IPO Price"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "New York City Fires Employee for Surfing the Web"