TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Charles Gowder (cgowder@cox.net)
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:49:38 GMT

af877@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Harry Dodsworth) wrote in news:telecom25.149.5
@telecom-digest.org:

Looking at those connections I'd say you are in the general middle
of the results for 56k modems.

DSL equipment is specifically designed to deliver data over copper and
there is probably a plan to qualify your individual "loop"

Charles Gowder
cgowder@cox.net

> I'm thinking of getting DSL. It is available in my area now with a
> download speed of 3 Mb/s (to my number and neighbours).

> However the best connection speed I can get over my phone line with a
> 56k modem is 31.2 kb/s. With the same computer I was able to connect
> to freenet at 48k over long distance from Toronto.

> As my POTS line isn't the best, can I still get a good DSL connection?

Go to Next message: Geoffrey Welsh: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
Go to Previous message: B. Wright: "Re: Are Major Banking Sites Insecure?"
May be in reply to: Harry Dodsworth: "Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"