TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Network Neutrality

Re: Network Neutrality

Steven Lichter (shlichter@sbcglobal.net)
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 01:41:14 GMT

In article telecom25.153.9@telecom-digest.org, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com at
hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote on 4/21/06 12:26:

> (quoting from the MoveOn original item):

>> If you've never heard about this bit of business history, there's a
>> good reason: it never happened. Instead, A.T. & T. had to abide by a
>> "common carriage" rule: it provided the same quality of service to
>> all, and could not favor one customer over another. But, while "tiered
>> access" never influenced the spread of the telephone network, it is
>> becoming a major issue in the evolution of the Internet.

> It is curious Move-On cited the old style common carrier policy as a
> justification for their position.

> Yes, in the old days it was equal access, equal rates for all, and
> common carrier. But MCI successfully sued to throw all of that out of
> the window along with the courts and Congress. MCI claimed the right
> to carry public customers at lower cost when and if it suited them.
> That claim created "tiered" service. Our telecom service has been
> operating that way, for better or worse, ever since.

And now look who owns MCI!!

In article telecom25.152.10@telecom-digest.org, Waitman Gobble at
avail4one@gmail.com wrote on 4/21/06 8:10:

> Hello,

> I'm not sure that the typical consumer would have the patience for a
> broken Internet. If average Susan decides to "shop store x" and the
> site isn't working properly, her patience will wear thin. If this
> happens to multiple sites, It is my opinion that she won't merely be
> "trained" into going to the sites approved by the government. She'd
> probably just jump ship and scrap the whole notion of the Internet.
> Which would mean she'd just call up her provider and disconnect
> service. She has better things to do.

The Internet is broken now and the only way to really fix it is to start
over again!!

> The bit about "tiered access" is curious, because it JUST happened to a
> client of mine. He has been using DSL in his home for years without
> much of any trouble. However in the past month his service has been
> offline about half time, which has been extremely frustrating for him.
> The problem is that a few weeks ago, it was down for a week and they
> said that some tech had "accidentally unplugged 50 lines in his
> neighborhood and his was included". It actually took them a week to
> "plug it back in". Then after a week of uptime it went down again (for
> another week) and the providers' response was "there's water in the
> line". The word he received from his provider, which is the company
> named in the article, was that he should upgrade his account to "their
> business level service to get better service and have trouble-free
> Internet". After that phone call, he called his local cable company and
> ordered their Internet service. That's a true story.

> We'll see what happens I suppose :)

> Take care,

> Waitman

Go to Next message: Travis Reed: "Pioneering WikFi City Sees Startup Woes"
Go to Previous message: Raqueeb Hassan: "Re: Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "Network Neutrality"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page