TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Continuing to Read About Scams

Continuing to Read About Scams

Carl Moore (cmoore@ARL.ARMY.MIL)
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:09:21 EDT

I am going along with advice that I *NOT* send *ANY* reply to scam
mail -- not even, say, "remove me from your list", because even
"remove me from your list" notifies the scammers of the existence of
your active email box.

Yes, one of the things the scammers might do is to send you a check
and get you to send some money back by an irreversible method, say by
wire. The check would eventually be found to be counterfeit, and the
scammers will have made money (which is the same as the money you sent
by wire).

A supposed notice of a win in a foreign lottery will turn out to be
just another advance-fee fraud. Just before I left for a trip to
Indiana in June 2004, I received an inquiry about 2 telephone number
strings, one starting with 0031 and the other starting with 001413215,
and besides answering the question about the telephone numbers (and
doing a futile web search for the firm name mentioned), I warned the
sender to make sure this was legitimate (I myself have received some
email which claimed to be from Netherlands and to be about a lottery).

----- Forwarded message # 1: