TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

DLR (news22@raleighthings.com)
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:03:06 -0400

Harry Dodsworth wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting DSL. It is available in my area now with a
> download speed of 3 Mb/s (to my number and neighbours).

> However the best connection speed I can get over my phone line with a
> 56k modem is 31.2 kb/s. With the same computer I was able to connect
> to freenet at 48k over long distance from Toronto.

> As my POTS line isn't the best, can I still get a good DSL connection?

The correlation between DSL speeds and dial up is there but loose. You
might get full 3mbps or get nothing. YMWV

Sorry.

Go to Next message: Julian Thomas: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
Go to Previous message: Reuters News Wire: "Internet Plays Bigger Role in Life Decisions: Poll"
May be in reply to: Harry Dodsworth: "Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"