TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Getting Run-Around on Porting my Number From AT&T to Vonage

Re: Getting Run-Around on Porting my Number From AT&T to Vonage

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:55:18 -0400

In article <telecom25.143.2@telecom-digest.org>, hbreder@adelphia.net
says:

> Early in March I signed up with Vonage and asked them the transfer my
> number from AT&T, my local service provider. I signed a LOA and
> waited. When nothing had happened after 3 weeks I emailed
> Vonage. They now tell my that AT&T is apparently trying to resell my
> number and therefore the transfer is not going through. I called AT&T
> and was told that AT&T is not reselling my number and that there they
> can't see a problem with the transfer. I email Vonage with that
> information and receive an email that now that all the obstacles are
> removed they will proceed with the transfer request. So I wait
> again. Finally about 10 days later I email Vonage to ask them what is
> holding up the transfer. They reply that they are waiting for AT&T to
> set an FOC date. I turned around and ask AT&T what is holding them up
> setting the FOC (firm order confirmation) date. So I get the reply
> today that AT&T does not give an FOC but that "due to systems
> limitations" Vonage will not be able to port my local service directly
> from AT&T and that I will need to switch my local service to Verizon
> and then port to Vonage from that provider.

> I am exasperated. Is there any truth to this? Why can't AT&T port the
> number directly to Vonage? and if not, somebody at Vonage should have
> known about this from the start since I would certainly not be the
> first person to go through this process. Instead I am now paying for 2
> concurrent services (AT&T and Vonage) and have to add on another 3rd
> service (Verizon) while spending more time waiting for the
> transfer. Is somebody making money of this? Is it kind of scam?

Probably because AT&T is reselling Verizon service.

Get the local PUC involved and cc the FCC. There's clearly no technical
limitation, it's just determining who owns the number.

Go to Next message: Steven Lichter: "Re: How to Dial a Toll-Free Number Using a Calling Card"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be in reply to: curious_br: "Getting Run-Around on Porting my Number From AT&T to Vonage"