TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Remembering Old Zenith Numbers

Re: Remembering Old Zenith Numbers

Bruce L. Bergman (blDELETEbergman@earthNOlink.invalid)
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:03:11 GMT

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:34:13 -0500, Chris Farrar
<cfarrar1307@rogers.com> wrote:

> Not to want to disagree with our esteemed host, but I distinctly
> remember 5 digit Zenith numbers in Bell Canada territory. Zenith
> 50-000 and Zenith 80-000 that would get you the nearest detachment of
> the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and the nearest Ambulance dispatchers.

Zenith 1-2000 was the statewide number for many decades for the
California Highway Patrol. Supposedly for Nevada Highway Patrol also.

And I just now dropped a "0" to SBC/AT&T to confirm - that number is
one of the few Zenith numbers still officially active. The operator
would put it through if necessary, no charge.

--<< Bruce >>--

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "Apple Offers Way to Cap Volume on I Pods"
Go to Previous message: Lionel Garth Jones: "OSDI '06 Call for Papers Deadline Approaching"
May be in reply to: Chris Farrar: "Remembering Old Zenith Numbers"