TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)

Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:24:47 -0500

In article <telecom25.109.8@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
says:

> T wrote:

>> Unfortunately for me I've never heard a live electromechanical
>> switch.

> Telephone switches have a distinctive sound. The clicks and clacks are
> very sharp and distinctive.

> While an ESS switch is silent (except for the noisy blowers), there
> may be some nearby support racks that do contain relays, and those
> relays will make the sharp clack sounds.

Actually the #1ESS wasn't completely electronic per se -- it used reed
relays to complete the calls.

But our Prologix does still make some clicking noises, but nowhere near
the decibel level of an old SxS I bet.

> As to the sound of emergency generators, they are noisy. I was
> passing a nursing home when they were testing their generator and it
> was loud!

> Places with critical functions likes hospitals and nursing homes have
> backup power generators. They are tested every so often. Sometimes
> power failures result from failure of the switchgear to transition
> from one source to another. One of my employer's location had a
> backup source and they did a test; they were out of commission the
> whole day due to failures of the control circuitry.

Yep. Our 125kW natural gas generator makes plenty of noise. And it
works flawlessly too.

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)"
Go to Previous message: John Stahl: "In NY, ILEC Wireline Rates May Go Up Due to Competition!"
May be in reply to: Dave Grebe: "Gas Refrigerator (was 25 Hz Power)"