TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: 208/240V, was: 25 Hz Power

Re: 208/240V, was: 25 Hz Power

sidd (sidd@situ.com)
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 04:57:56 GMT

In article <telecom25.99.1@telecom-digest.org>, Danny Burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

snip--

> [a] I'd personally consider that design
> to be two-phase, since the legs
> are 180 degrees apart, but the
> rest of the world disagrees with
> me and calls it single phase.

I have heard it referred to as split phase 220 ...

snip--

> HOWEVER, if you grab two of the hot legs for the circuit, you're NOT
> getting 240V but instead, because it's 120 degree out of phase, you
> get (again, that's separate from the 120V... ) you get:

> 120V * (square root of 3) = 208V

Dropping alternate phases seems common all over the USA.

sidd

Go to Next message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: 208/240V, was: 25Hz Power"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Indiana Governor Signs Statewide Video Franchise"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page