TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Koos van den Hout (koos+newsposting@kzdoos.xs4all.nl)
21 Feb 2006 21:02:22 GMT

nospam4me@mytrashmail.com wrote in <telecom25.72.9@telecom-digest.org>:

> I think it would be neat if datacasting could be used for say Windows
> Update in conjunction with a low cost USB-attached receiver. That
> would be a godsend to those on slow dialup or satellite connections.

Sounds like a rehash of the usenet/fidonet via satellite services that
sprung up in the 90s. See
http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/library/CONCEPTS/SERVICES/SATELLITES/
for more info.

Not wanting to be negative about the idea: I think it would be
fantastic to use cheap data-broadcasting in some way to distribute
data to a lot of people want (such as windows updates) for a low
price.

nospam4me@mytrashmail.com wrote in <telecom25.72.9@telecom-digest.org>:

> I think it would be neat if datacasting could be used for say Windows
> Update in conjunction with a low cost USB-attached receiver. That
> would be a godsend to those on slow dialup or satellite connections.

A bit of further research shows me this exists (for the US):

http://www.nationaldatacast.com/

Maybe somebody needs to alert Microsoft to this network ;)

Koos van den Hout

Camp Wireless, wireless Internet access at campsites| Koos van den Hout
http://www.camp-wireless.org/ | http://idefix.net/~koos/
PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5| Fax +31-30-2817051

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Service Providers Recycling Phone Numbers"
Go to Previous message: Justa Lurker: "Re: PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box"