TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle

Re: PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle

Paul A Lee (palee@riteaid.com)
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:48:20 -0500

In TELECOM Digest V25 #77, bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi)
wrote (in part):

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: ... I did not realize that little
>> strip of WV was known as 'Panhandle'; I always thought 'panhandle'
>> was used for the northwestern strip of Oklahoma, or perhaps the
>> northernmost section of Idaho, but I guess there is no reason it
>> cannot apply to that northern wedge of WV as well.

> FYI, the northern end of Texas (everything directly west of
> Oklahoma) is also commonly referred to as the "Panhandle". As
> is Western Florida (more-or-less Panama City to Pensacola, and on
> west). Even the far S.E. corner of Missouri is also referred
> to that way, sometimes. I've even heard it applied to the
> far-western part of Maryland.

West Virginia actually has _two_ panhandles, which is why
PanhandleGateway.com refers to "WV's Eastern Panhandle". The sliver of
West Virginia between Pennsylvania's western border and the Ohio River
is also referred to as a panhandle (i.e., "WV's Northern Panhandle").

The portion of Texas between the Rio Grande and New Mexico is called
the West Texas panhandle.

Michigan has a "thumb" (between Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron), and
Virginia has a "toe" (roughly, the portion between Kentucky and
Tennessee -- or roughly the area included in NPA 276, to include at
least a nominal telecom reference).

And the portion of Pennsylvania that borders Lake Erie is sometimes
referred to as the "chimney corner".

There are undoubtedly other colorfully named territorial divisions.

Paul A Lee Sr Telecom Engineer <palee@riteaid.com>
Rite Aid Corporation WP-IS-COM (Telecomm) V: +1 717 791-6408
5280 Simpson Ferry Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050 F: +1 717 791-6406
P.O. Box 3165, Harrisburg, PA 17105-3165 C: +1 717 805-6208

Go to Next message: galsaba: "Nokia 12"
Go to Previous message: Jim Haynes: "Re: Automatic Electric Relay Datasheet"
May be in reply to: Mark: "PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle"