TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Steven Lichter (shlichter@diespammers.com)
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:58:42 GMT

Danny Burstein wrote:

> In <telecom25.69.2@telecom-digest.org> Monty Solomon
> <monty@roscom.com> writes: [ snip ]

>> About 10 new movies are sent each week over an unused part of the
>> broadcast TV signal using a technology called datacasting.

> ( in other words, the drive is, err, "trickle charged.. .")

> I'm troubled by this. The tv station was granted a license by the FCC
> [a] for the specific purpose of sending out a broadcast signal, that
> is, a tv program.

> Ok, the world has changed, and they can take, say, 5 percent of that
> bandwidth and use it for other purposes -- in this case to slow-feed a
> separate, "store and play..." series of movies, but...

> I'd think a solid case could and should be made that this additional
> bit of effective bandwidth should be either re-bid out (after all, the
> original licensee doesn't "need it" for their licensed purpose).

> [a] once upon a time the FCC licenses had to be renewed and it was
> possible to lose them. For all intents and purposes nowadays those FCC
> licenses are permanent.

> Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
> dannyb@panix.com
> [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

I would not say permanent, stations do get challenged and at times
lose their licenses, as LA channel 9 did after fighting it for years,
and the Orange County Educational channel is under attach by a religious
group that wants the license.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2006 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Go to Next message: Associated Press News Wire: "China Defends Right to Police Internet"
Go to Previous message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box"