TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:03:55 -0500

In article <telecom25.69.2@telecom-digest.org>, Monty Solomon
<monty@roscom.com> wrote:

> By GARY GENTILE AP Business Writer

> LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Walt Disney Co.'s MovieBeam set-top box is
> coming back in an upgraded version that clearly aims to be a
> Blockbuster in a box.

It's the 21st Century -- shouldn't that be "Netflix in a box"? :)

> The box receives movies through over-the-air broadcasts and stores
> them on a hard drive. Disney started testing the service in three
> cities in 2003, then put it on hiatus in April.

Isn't this just a DVR?

> Consumers will pay $199 for the box after a rebate, and a $29
> activation fee. After that, they pay video store prices for the movies
> they watch. A rental is good for a 24-hour period.

Ahh, it's a *crippled* DVR.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Danny Burstein: "Re: N11 Codes"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Re: Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Disney Bringing Back MovieBeam Set-Top Box"