TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Fiber Cut Knocks S.E. Kansas Off Line

Re: Fiber Cut Knocks S.E. Kansas Off Line

nospam4me@mytrashmail.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:01:59 +0000 (UTC)

Michael Chance <mchance@swbell.net> wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You are quite correct; I was thinking
> of a small town in southwest Missouri close to the Arkansas border.
> The geotools stuff did claim yesterday that I was in Ballwin (since I
> was using dial up via TerraWorld; I dunno why. Any ideas on that? PAT]

I bet the TerraWorld dialup server is located in Baldwin, MO.
I'd love to know how exactly ISPs use centrally located modem servers but
can provide "local" numbers just about anywhere.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Herb Oxley
From: address IS Valid.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: It is BALLWIN, _not_ BALDWIN, and Duane
said to me that 'they' (meaning TerraWorld) do have 'an association'
with 'another company in the St. Louis area'. But Duane and all his
employees are located in offices in the Arco Building here in town,
and prior to his purchase/startup of Pairie Stream in 2002 the
TerraWorld dialups were on 620-332 something; a historical artifact
from when Arco Oil was in business with the corporate offices of
Harry Sinclair in the Arco Building, and all of Arco's phones were
on 332. Arco has been gone for more than a decade now (when the
company went out of business they gave their headquarters, the Arco
Corporate Center, to City of Independence free and clear as a gift
which renamed it the 'Independence Corporate Offices', kept the phone
PBX system Arco had in place, named Duane and Terraworld as the
'Building LEC' for phone service on 620-332, etc. I think what they
use between cities are 'concentrators' or several circuits all sent
through one line, a bit of trickery where one or two lines serve as
'controllers' or traffic signals, telling the other end who is calling
and what to do with the call being sent through the pipeline. 25
customers on one side are connected to the 25 on the other side by
only 2 or 3 lines in the middle, thus 'concentrated'. Although the
Atlantic Richfield Company and Harry Sinclair have been gone for
many years, locals still refer to the place as 'the Arco Building'.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Neal McLain: "Re: Fiber Cut Knock Rural S.E. Kansas Off Line"
Go to Previous message: panoptes@iquest.net: "Re: Fiber Cut Knocks S.E. Kansas Off Line"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page