TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still

Re: Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
31 Jan 2006 07:15:04 -0800

Monty Solomon wrote:

> You've been trapped. In a cellphone dead zone.

Apparently digital signals used today aren't as "enrobing" as analog
signals and are more easily blocked by buildings or terrain. After a
big push to switch people to digital dead zone complaints soared. The
wireless carriers have to put a lot more antennas in and study tricky
locations to ensure continual service.

Public safety departments using new digital radios have had the same
problem with dead spots. Their old analog sets were more reliable.

I was riding a train and the other passengers lost their signal. My
old analog phone kept working.

In more remote areas people use older style "bag phones" with a higher
powered analog signal to have service. Apparently there is no
replacement for this yet, and analog is supposed to be retired in a
few years, which will leave rural areas in big trouble.

As a user, I'm concerned that if I take a motor trip, and go a few
miles off the main highway to an isolated area, that I'll lose service
at a point where I'll need it the most in an emergency.

How far will today's tiny little phones work away from the antenna?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think rural areas are _already_ in
some trouble. Cingular Wireless is really trying hard to get all
customers converted over to GSM and the flimsy little phones. On my
older style Nokia phone which I used, quite successfully until a few
months ago, I _always_ had a great signal. The local agent told me
that the newer Nokia 6010 phone (GSM) would be 'much better'. I got it
and turned it on, and only rarely does the signal strengh approach the
level the old one does. GSM is _not_ a better deal at all. I suppose
if you wanted to use it fo (very limited) Internet stuff, watch
television or take photos, etc it would be okay, but how about those
of us who just want to make/recieve good quality phone calls? PAT]

Go to Next message: Matthew Fordahl: "EFF Sues AT&T Over Phone Surveillance"
Go to Previous message: Dale Farmer: "Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Hello, You're in the Dead Zone / Region's Cellphone Users Still"