TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon Launches FiOS TV in Massapequa Park; First Rollout in NY

Re: Verizon Launches FiOS TV in Massapequa Park; First Rollout in NY

Henry Cabot Henhouse III (sooper_chicken@hotmail.com)
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:17:49 -0800

No big deal over cable, direct and dish ... and they probably compress
compress compress yielding a pic about as good as a VHS recording at
SP. If anyone has/had Dish/Direct and now has FioStv ... how do the
SD channels compare?

Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote in message

> New Service Offers Consumers Better Television Technology,
> True Competitive Choice and Greater Value

> MASSAPEQUA PARK, N.Y., Jan. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon unveiled FiOS
> TV in New York today to residents of this village of 17,000 on Long
> Island, making it the first community in the state to feature the new
> service. Verizon will begin taking customer orders immediately.

> "This is not cable TV. This is not satellite. This is FiOS TV," said
> Bob Ingalls, president of Verizon's Retail Markets Group. "Customers
> who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what
> it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of
> broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new
> entertainment experience."

> Information on packages and prices is available at:
> http://www.verizon.net/fiostv

> . Massapequa Park-area customers also can call
> 1-877-4-FIOS-TV (1-877-434-6788) to see if they're able to order FiOS TV.

> FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and
> satellite. It is delivered over Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises
> (FTTP) network, which has industry-leading quality and reliability.
> Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the
> capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that
> is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also
> delivers Internet download speeds of up to 30 Mbps (megabits per
> second) and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps as well as high-quality
> voice services.

> Verizon's network design includes backup facilities not common to
> traditional cable systems, such as duplicate "super head ends" where
> the TV service receives national programming. (More information about
> FiOS TV and fiber optics is available in Verizon's online News Center
> at http://www.verizon.com/news .)

> Service highlights include:

> * A broad collection of all-digital programming and compelling consumer
> choice - with more than 330 total channels and more on the way.

> * A lead offer with more than 180 digital video and music channels, for
> $39.95 a month.

> * More than 20 high-definition channels, with extraordinary clarity and
> theater-quality sound.

> * More than 1,800 video-on-demand titles available to customers now,
> increasing to 2,000 titles in the next several months.

> * Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news,
> shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find
> their favorite programming.

> * An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD
> programming, video on demand and the digital video recorder along
> with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
>
> * A dual-tuner DVR that gives customers the freedom to pause and rewind
> live TV, record one show while watching another, and fast forward to
> their favorite part of the program - all without a VCR, tapes or
> [...]

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: Poor Valentine Starving in Russia"
Go to Previous message: Reed: "Re: History of Hayes Modem"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Verizon Launches FiOS TV in Massapequa Park; First Rollout in NY"