TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery

Need Help With a Telephone Mystery

Jim Haynes (haynes@alumni.uark.edu)
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:18:51 GMT

I have an elderly friend in rural Arkansas who tells me that about a
week ago he started getting a lot of phone calls. He has been able to
learn that the number they are calling is 1-888-565-8361 and that it
has something to do with prescription drugs.

I assume that somewhere in the vast web of the telephone network the
toll-free numbers get translated into real phone number and that's how
the calls get forwarded to a real phone. And I assume that somehow
his own phone number has been incorrectly been put into one of those
translations. But I don't know how to track down where the
translation is taking place and how to get it fixed.

Turns out the man's wife some years ago had an 888 number -- she had
forgotten all about it -- and the number she had was off in one digit
from the number people are calling. So it's a simple misdialing.
Altho I would have thought that her old 888 number would no longer
work.

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I would be careful saying that it is
a 'simple misdialing' if there are _many_ people calling it. That
might be the case, or it may be that the 'prescription drug company' (?)
somehow has misprinted literature out with the wrong number printed on
it. Ask your elderly friend to inquire of the callers the name of the
company they are trying to reach, then see if you can reach that
company and (a) get some of their literature to look at or (b) just
ask one of their representatives 'what number should I call if I wish
to use your service?'

Also ask your friend to check his phone bill closely and see if there
is a monthly charge for a toll free number or if his next phone bill
has charges on it for collect calls, etc. If the toll free number is
provided by some other carrier, then unless he specifically tells
_that carrier_ he does not want the toll free service it will never be
removed from an association with his 'real' number. Even if he moves
away or changes his number and someone else gets his old number, those
toll free calls will continue to ring into the (old) number, even if
some other innocent party gets the number assigned to them, or no one
gets assigned to the number and calls ring to intercept. PAT]

Go to Next message: radiodude: "Re: Cell Phone Extenders?"
Go to Previous message: Eric Auchard: "EBay Plans Instant-Buying Service"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: Davlindi@gmail.com: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: Joe Morris: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: The Kaminsky Family: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: John McHarry: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: Jay C. James: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: Jim Haynes: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: DLR: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
May be reply: Danny Burstein: "Re: Need Help With a Telephone Mystery"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page