TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Early Digital Comms, was: Modems - Hayes - Instant Communications

Early Digital Comms, was: Modems - Hayes - Instant Communications

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:44:34 UTC

In <telecom25.23.9@telecom-digest.org> Wesrock@aol.com writes:

[ good discussion of how the telegraph allowed (almost) real time
central/remote control of armies snipped for space ]

> This centralized control depended on the telegraph, a form of
> communication not previously available in war. The telegraph is a
> form of digital communication, a concept not previously in use.

" One if by land, two if by sea
And I on the opposite shore will be,
Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm. . .

In other words, digital communications were in use a lot earlier than
the telegraph. Much, much, slower throughput, though.

(For that matter, you can go back to fires on mountaintops and to
smoke signals).

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Modems - Hayes - Instant Communications"
Go to Previous message: kimi: "Voip Learning and Translating Tutorial"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page