TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps

Re: Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps

steve_schefter@hotmail.com
16 Jan 2006 10:50:11 -0800

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> In article <telecom25.19.8@telecom-digest.org>,
> <steve_schefter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> You mean the checks and balances that are protecting the non-citizens
>> who apparently have no rights?

> What a strange, if thoroughly modern, point of view. What, exactly,
> makes you think that non-citizens of a given polity are entitled to
> respect for any "rights" its own citizens enjoy when they choose,
> without the same obligations of those citizens, to reside within it?

Wow. Better not go outside the borders of your own country. You
should have no claim against having _anything_ done to you if you
don't believe in rights for non-citizens.

I don't say that the rights of non-citizens come without obligations.
As a visitor to a foreign country, I have, for example, the obligation
to observe their laws even if I disagree with them.

Just as the rights of non-citizens are not as extensive as those of
the non-citizen, neither are the obligations (for example, I don't get
mandatory military service by visiting a country). But neither the
rights nor the obligations should be zero.

My belief that this should be so is based on the same reason that laws
and rights should apply to citizens: The opposite would be disorder.
The only difference is whether that disorder is intra- or inter-national.

Steve

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Modems - Hayes - Instant Communications"
Go to Previous message: DLR: "Re: Amtrak Passengers Stranded in Woods in Georgia"
May be in reply to: Katherine Shrader: "Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps"