TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: GTE, Sprint, United, Centel, Contel, Nextel, etc.

Re: GTE, Sprint, United, Centel, Contel, Nextel, etc.

Al Gillis (alg@aracnet.com)
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 07:15:03 -0800

Anthony -- That's a great history! Thanks for taking time to "shine a
light" onto that part of our past!

Pat -- I think posting Anthony's article in the History section of the
TELECOM Digest Archives would be a great idea!

Al

Anthony Bellanga <anthonybellanga@spam-poison.com> wrote in message

> PAT -- please suppress my email address in the "from" line, and any
> other place it might appear!

> Al Gillis wrote:

>> TELECOM Digest Editor wrote:

>>> The (S)outhern (P)acific (R)ailroad (I)nternal (N)etwork
>>> (T)elecommunications Department of that railroad -- or S.P.R.I.N.T.
>>> for short -- did a major re-build of their trackside telephone
>>> system in the late 1960's. They did such a good job of it, they had
>>> a huge anount of left-over capacity and decided to lease it out to
>>> other businesses and companies. That was the original Sprint, which
>>> a few years later got into residential telecom service as well, and
>>> has now -- 2005 -- gone through many changes in ownership and
>>> management. About 1998 or so, Sprint bought the United Telephone
>>> Company which serves a lot of northern Kansas among other
>>> territories. PAT]

>> BZZZZZT! Sorry, Pat, it was the other way around!

>> United Telephone, based in the Kansas City, KS area (maybe Overland
>> Park) bought SPRINT and then assumed the name, much like the recent
>> changes at SBC/AT&T.

>> United Telephone owned numerous local operating telephone companies
>> around the US of A. In my area it was United Telephone of the
>> Northwest. There was a United Telephone of Ohio, United Telephone of
>> Florida, and others with the "United Telephone of..." name. There
>> were still others as well, like Carolina Telephone, which operated in
>> North and South Carolina. Possibly the largest city in SPRINT's
>> stable in Las Vegas, NV.

> Southern Pacific Railways began to offer "common carrier" telecom
> services (SPRINT) during the 1970s era, paralleling what MCI had also
> begun doing. At first, it was private line services, but over time,
> combinations of private line with switched long haul services emerged,
> and finally "fully switched" OCC (Other Common Carrier) services.

> In the early 1980s, GTE bought out SPRINT from Southern Pacific
> Railways. In the early 1980s, their 950-xxxx feature group 'B' dial-up
> access number was 950-0777, the '777' for 'SPR', and their initial
> post-divestiture feature group 'D' equal-access dial-around code was
> 10-777.

> Also happening during the early 1980s was that the independent telco
> group owner United (which was one of about four or five or six of the
> larger ones, the others being GTE, Contel, Centel, and also Alltel,
> CenturyTel, PTI, etc) was developing their own 'OCC' long-distance
> network called "US Telecom". Their access number was (is) 950-1033,
> and their dial-around was 10-333 (now 101-0333).

> In 1986, GTE and United decided to "join forces" and merge their OCC
> long-distance networks. The new joint-venture would be called "US
> Sprint", owned 50/50 by GTE and United. It would take some time for
> the networks and billing departments of "US Sprint" to be properly
> merged and operating "seamlessly". In the first couple of years of "US
> [...]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think so also, and did that earlier
on Saturday. His message (and another one about the 'ten-ten' access
code numbers) is in the History section of the Telecom Archives as of
now. Thanks for the mention however; I might have otherwise
overlooked it. PAT]

Go to Next message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "History Web Site Now Open!"
Go to Previous message: Ken Abrams: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be in reply to: Anthony Bellanga: "GTE, Sprint, United, Centel, Contel, Nextel, etc."