TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Bob Alan (t5@soalex.us)
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:08:04 -0500

Hello,

I recently switched to VOIP but kept my old POTS line for back-up.

I use the VOIP for all my LD calls. Am I correct that even though I'm
not using my 3rd party LD provider that I had with my POTS service
that I'm still paying some form of a month connection fee to the POTS
provider?

Any idea what the fee is called.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What does the monthly bill from your
local telco say about it? If you are getting some sort of monthly
recurring minimum charge, then that third-party LD carrier _is_
charging you. But there are many who do not charge unless you actually
use them. Now, there is a 'network connection fee' your local telco
charges, or a 'universal access fee' but those things are purely your
local telco gouging you, under cover of the law, for extra fees. If
you go a month or two and do not see any sort of 'minimum use charge'
on your long distance bill then I guess they are not charging anything.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Jason Brault: "Butt-Set Recommendation"
Go to Previous message: Sinead Carew: "Verizon Wireless Unveils Wireless Music Store"
May be reply: John Stahl: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: BobT: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: Bob Alan: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: John Stahl: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: Ken Abrams: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: BobT: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: Rich Greenberg: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page