TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Hazards of Instant Communication

Re: The Hazards of Instant Communication

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
5 Jan 2006 10:57:43 -0800

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That report from West Virginia was one
> of the saddest things I have ever read. WV, one of the poorest states
> in the union earns much of its living in the coal mines, a dirty job
> and dangerous by anyone's standards.

The papers reported that coal mining is far safer than it once was
through many inspections and safety procedures. It is still dangerous
work. Old-line coal mining towns (like in Penna and WV) are quite poor
because of the low demand for coal. Coal is dirty stuff compared to
other fuels, coal even is slightly radioactive and spews radon in the
air.

Other reports mention that there are other very dangerous occupations
than coal mining. They are late night convenience store, fast food,
and gas station attendants, who are frequent victims of robbery/murder.
We don't hear about them as much as they happen one at a time
scattered throughout the country, but their frequency is alarming. In
Camden NJ, one of the nation's poorer cities, there is a highway lined
with gas stations, porn stores, and sleazy motels. The gas station
attendants working overnight are frequently robbed and killed.

My local convenience store used to give the cops free coffee and I saw
no problem with it; it was good to have the cops around being very
visible and available to people, esp late at night. (As a patron, I
felt better). But someone made a stink about it, and now the cops pay
for their stuff and take their breaks elsewhere more discretely.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Same thing happened in Chicago. Police
officers were allowed to ride CTA busses and trains for free. Someone
one day, with their head in the clouds made a stink about it, and
police were told they had to start paying fares, so most of them quit
riding busses/trains and taking their own cars instead. Criminals saw
that and said "it is now safe for _us_ to ride the trains again". Talk
about dumb. we definitly _needed_ police riding on the trains. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Payphone Surcharges (was: Unanswered Cellphones)"
Go to Previous message: Michael Quinn: "Re: The Hazards of Instant Communication"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Hazards of Instant Communication"