TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Amtrak Passengers Standed in Woods in Georgia

Re: Amtrak Passengers Standed in Woods in Georgia

Chris Farrar (cfarrar1307@rogers.com)
Sun, 01 Jan 2006 23:25:37 -0500

Tony P. <nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net> wrote:

> This is why I think we should regionalize mass transit. MTBA now runs
> through RI, MA and NH. Why not extend into CT, NY, etc. Run high speed
> bullet trains for those willing to pay for it. The current high speed
> trains are a joke. Apparently Bombardier isn't the greatest
> manufacturer when it comes to building commuter trains.

Actually, Bombardier is quite good at building commuter trains,
providing that once you decide what you want you don't start ordering
changes in the basic design, as Amtrak and government regulators did.

They essentially ordered a French TVG train, but then insisted after
the contracts were signed that had to meet US crash standards that the
TVG wasn't designed to, so instead of building a known component, they
were on "clean sheet of paper" for the design, with delivery dates
(and penalties for non delivery) that didn't take that into
consideration.

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "New Motorola Connected Cordless Phone Systems Simplify and"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Amtrak Passengers Stranded in Woods in Georgia"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page