TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Amtrack Passengers Stranded in Woods in Georgia

Re: Amtrack Passengers Stranded in Woods in Georgia

Wesrock@aol.com
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:56:05 EST

In a message dated 12/30/05 2:39:40 PM Central Standard Time,
editor@telecom-digest.org writes:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: This must certainly be one of the
> grander moments in the glorious history of the Toonerville Trolley.
> If it has not occurred to Amtrack authorities by now to (a) either
> split the wrecked train in two parts and clear the way or (b)
> considering they were already delayed 12 hours in Jacksonville, simply
> evacuate the trains passengers, bus them to the nearest airport and
> have airplanes take everyone to their home town immediatly, then I do
> not suppose another eight or ten hours stranded there will change
> anything. I mean is anyone besides me old enough to remember when we
> had real, honest-to-God reliable rail service in America? PAT]

Pat,

It's Amtrak, not Amtrack. The AP story spelled it correctly.

The freight train that derailed is a train owned by the CSX Railway,
which also owns the track. It is not up to Amtrak.

We have "real, honest-to-God reliable rail service in America,"
provided by railroads doing what they do best, handling great
quantities of freight (and without government subsidies). Passenger
service is no longer the important function it once was, which is why
the share of passenger traffic on the few passenger trains which do
exist is such a minuscule percentage of all passenger travel.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I got one other detail wrong; it is not
the 'Toonerville Trolley System' it is the 'Hooterville Railroad' you
know, that train which runs through Green Acres on television except
for 'Kosiusko's Birthday and other more major holidays'. So, Wes, I
guess you would agree with Robert Bomoni, since no one knows who to
blame, the passengers will have to just sit there and make-do until
if/when the derailed train gets out of the way, and hopefully make
their kids quit squalling and running wild through the coaches while
they find a working, stocked bathroom before it is too late. PAT

Go to Next message: Jay Wrolstad: "Another Critical Flaw Detected in Windows Metafile"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Amtrack Passengers Stranded in Woods in Georgia"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "Amtrack Passengers Stranded in Woods in Georgia"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page