TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Secret Court Modified Bush Wiretap Requests

Re: Secret Court Modified Bush Wiretap Requests

Tony P. (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:09:56 -0500

In article <telecom24.588.13@telecom-digest.org>, hornetd@mindspring.com
says:

> Stewart M. Powell wrote:

>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/253334_nsaspying24.html

>> Secret court modified wiretap requests;
>> Intervention may have led Bush to bypass panel.

>> Saturday, December 24, 2005

>> By STEWART M. POWELL
>> SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER WASHINGTON BUREAU

>> WASHINGTON -- Government records show that the administration was
>> encountering unprecedented second-guessing by the secret federal
>> surveillance court when President Bush decided to bypass the panel and
>> order surveillance of U.S.-based terror suspects without the court's
>> approval.

>> A review of Justice Department reports to Congress shows that the
>> 26-year-old Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court modified more
>> wiretap requests from the Bush administration than from the four
>> previous presidential administrations combined.

>> The court's repeated intervention in Bush administration wiretap
>> requests may explain why the president decided to bypass the court
>> nearly four years ago to launch secret National Security Agency spying
>> on hundreds and possibly thousands of Americans and foreigners inside
>> the United States, according to James Bamford, an acknowledged
>> authority on the supersecret NSA, which intercepts telephone calls,
>> e-mails, faxes and Internet communications.

>> "They wanted to expand the number of people they were eavesdropping
>> on, and they didn't think they could get the warrants they needed from
>> the court to monitor those people," said Bamford, author of "Body of
>> Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency" and
>> "The Puzzle Palace: Inside America's Most Secret Intelligence
>> Organization." "The FISA court has shown its displeasure by tinkering
>> with these applications by the Bush administration."

>> Bamford offered his speculation in an interview last week.

>> The 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, adopted by Congress in
>> the wake of President Nixon's misuse of the NSA and the CIA before his
>> resignation over Watergate, sets a high standard for court-approved
>> wiretaps on Americans and resident aliens inside the United States.

>> To win a court-approved wiretap, the government must show "probable
>> cause" that the target of the surveillance is a member of a foreign
>> terrorist organization or foreign power and is engaged in activities
>> that "may" involve a violation of criminal law.

>> Faced with that standard, Bamford said, the Bush administration had
>> difficulty obtaining FISA court-approved wiretaps on dozens of people
>> within the United States who were communicating with targeted al-Qaida
>> suspects inside the United States.

>> The 11-judge court that authorizes FISA wiretaps has approved at least
>> 18,740 applications for electronic surveillance or physical searches
>> from five presidential administrations since 1979.

>> The judges modified only two search warrant orders out of the 13,102
> [...]

Oh it would drive them crazy of all of a sudden public key encryption
were in use on NNTP groups. Not that pk can't be broken -- it can. It all
depends on the number of bits in the key.

If they want to read my email so be it. Same with my blog, my flickr
site, etc.

So far I've only advocated the overthrow of the Roman Catholic hierarchy,
not much else.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, I want the strongest encryption I
can get for this Digest, if anyone will help me work on it. Maybe I
will do it for all my web pages, etc. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Amtrak Passengers Stranded in Woods in Georgia"
Go to Previous message: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: Payphone Surcharges to call Toll-Free Numbers"
May be in reply to: Stewart M. Powell: "Secret Court Modified Bush Wiretap Requests"