TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)

Re: Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)

Seth Breidbart (sethb@panix.com)
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 02:19:02 UTC

David Wolff <dwolffxx@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <telecom24.570.8@telecom-digest.org>, Seth Breidbart
> <sethb@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <telecom24.563.14@telecom-digest.org>,
>> Jim Haynes <jhaynes@alumni.uark.edu> wrote:

>>> One scheme that seemed to me to have some promise was to detect spam
>>> in the SMTP receiving program and deliberately delay its responses
>>> to the sending program. So that the transaction of sending a message
>>> is stretched out far longer than normal.

>> That's called tarpitting. It would work against spammers who use
>> their own resources to send. Those who use armies of zombies wouldn't
>> care.

> I would think that at least it cuts down on the amount of spam, if
> enough of the zombies get stuck in tarpits.

It would, if access to zombies were the limiting factor. It isn't.

Also, a lot of spam engines are written so that tarpitting doesn't
slow them down (but the machine doing the tarpitting never gets the
message, so there's some benefit there).

Seth

Go to Next message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Letter From Russia"
Go to Previous message: Anne Konigsmark & Rick Hampton: "Amid New Orleans Ruins, Volunteers are Emerging as Heroes"
May be in reply to: Jim Haynes: "Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page