TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Missing ABN Amro Tape With Two Million Names Found

Re: Missing ABN Amro Tape With Two Million Names Found

Ron Chapman (ronchapman@wideopenwest.com)
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:08:01 -0500

In article <telecom24.572.3@telecom-digest.org>, Ron Chapman
<ronchapman@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> And potentially, it's still out there being used -- because I don't
> believe that ABN got that tape back yesterday. I believe they're
> lying. It's just too coincidental.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, it is _possible_ that ABM got the
> missing tape back after a month or so. More than likely ABM had their
> shipment through DHL insured to a maximum value, and when an _insured_
> shipment gets somehow lost in transit, the package tracers will look
> high and low, even a month or more to find it rather than have to pay
> off on the loss. PAT]

No question, Pat, but let's look at the facts:

1) they lost the tape;

2) they were forced to tell their customers that they lost the tape;

3) the VERY DAY that their customers receive their letters, this tape
MAGICALLY reappears.

This and the other coincidences are too much to bear. The bullshit
meter is pegged.

And:

4) we have no way, nor will we ever have a way, of verifying that
they're telling us the truth. Frankly, I have to assume the worst.
This is identity theft we're dealing with here; ABN's exposure is
tremendous. Sure they're going to tell everyone they got the tape
back. They hope that six months from now, everyone has forgotten
about it -- and that any issues arising from this will be ascribed to
something else.

Go to Next message: Ron Chapman: "Re: Through His Webcam, a Teenage Boy Joins a Sordid Online World"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Siemens Predicts IPTV Surge"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Missing ABN Amro Tape With Two Million Names Found"