TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)

Re: Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)

Seth Breidbart (sethb@panix.com)
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:12:50 UTC

Jim Haynes <jhaynes@alumni.uark.edu> wrote:

> One scheme that seemed to me to have some promise was to detect spam
> in the SMTP receiving program and deliberately delay its responses
> to the sending program. So that the transaction of sending a message
> is stretched out far longer than normal.

That's called tarpitting. It would work against spammers who use
their own resources to send. Those who use armies of zombies wouldn't
care.

Seth

Go to Next message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Letter From Russia"
Go to Previous message: Gordon Burditt: "Re: Physically Protecting The Local Loop Metwork?"
May be in reply to: Jim Haynes: "Spam (was FTC Do Not Call List)"