TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wikipedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis

Re: Wikipedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomni.com)
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:22:38 -0000

In article <telecom24.566.10@telecom-digest.org>, Thor Lancelot Simon
<tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:

> In article <telecom24.565.7@telecom-digest.org>, Dave Garland
> <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> wrote:

>> The exercise revealed numerous errors in both encyclopaedias, but
>> among 42 entries tested, the difference in accuracy was not
>> particularly great: the average science entry in Wikipedia contained
>> around four inaccuracies; Britannica, about three ...

> I'm astonished that a 25% difference is considered "not particularly
> great".

I'm astonished that something that can be explained by "jitter" of
"plus/minus one count" in 'ordinal' numeric data, would be considered
anything _other_ than "not particularly great". Well, unless they do
not really understand statistical analysis, that is.

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: Wikipedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis"
Go to Previous message: timeOday: "Re: Wikipedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page