TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FTC Do Not Call List

Re: FTC Do Not Call List

Lena (lenagainster@gmail.com)
12 Dec 2005 04:12:19 -0800

Lena wrote:

>>> I think an amendment to the Telemarketing Laws is in order, to
>>> prohibit any telemarketer, calling on behalf of any charity or
>>> political organization, from calling any number more than once a year.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But Lena, when you limit those people
> to 'one call per year', wouldn't that be like saying spammers and
> scammers and phishermen should be limited to one spam, scam or phish
> per year? Are you trying to dictate what people can talk about on
> their phone? PAT]

I'm trying to dictate what people can call me on MY phone. I don't
want telemarketers calling me at all, but the ones who have exceptions
to the rule, those calling on behalf of charities and political
organizations are rude. They won't leave a message on the answeing
machine, but will hang up, and then call over and over again. That is
why I suggest limiting them to one call per year; perhaps they will
leave their message and go away.

As far as spammers and scammers and phishermen go, they should all be
taken out and drawn and quartered.

Lena

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I quite agree with your assessment, but
my point was what makes _your_ telephone any more sancrosanct than _my_
computer. If _you_ have the right to dictate who can call you on
_your_ phone, then _I_ should have the right to dictate what kind of
messages come through on _my_ computer. And let's face it, spam-scam
and phishing is far worse than telemarketers ever have been. Imagine,
if you will, several hundred telemarketers ringing your phone without
ceasing all day and all night, and your only recourse, according to
the so-called 'experts' was to rely on screening attempts, and many of
the spammer-scammers managed to trick their way around that. Sounds
like a lot of fun, doesn't it? PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Hanging up on the New Ma Bell"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Wage Laws, was Holiday Observances Phone Rates (was Re: Kennedy)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page