TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FTC Do Not Call List

Re: FTC Do Not Call List

Mark Crispin (MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:00:56 -0800

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Fred Atkinson wrote:

> Not just those who can't remember a four digit code, but how about
> those who never got your code? I tried to call an old friend the
> other night whom I hadn't spoken to in years. He's got that feature
> installed and I have no idea what his code is. So, I didn't get to
> talk to an old buddy I hadn't been in contact with in a very long
> time. And there's no way to leave him a message letting him know I
> called.

I sympathize. But does he have the "*" emergency break-through
enabled? If so, then you can break through the lock; you just have to
state your name and see if he takes the call. If not, then he's
chosen to lock out people who don't have the code; and you'll have to
use email or buy a postage stamp.

Not long ago, I heard from two old friends from 30 years ago. One
wrote a letter, the other sent email. After that long a period of
time, it's probably better to use written contact rather than suddenly
barging in with a phone call. You don't know how someone's life has
changed in the past several decades, much less whether a phone call
would be a burden or even unwelcome.

Note that in a true emergency, you can ask the phone company to make
an emergency contact with someone and pass along a message. They pass
along "so-and-so is dying, call such-and-such number immediately" type
messages to estranged family members all the time.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Go to Next message: Lena: "Re: FTC Do Not Call List"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: One in Four Netters Get Phony E-Mails"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page