TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage + Multi-Line Cordless Phones?

Re: Vonage + Multi-Line Cordless Phones?

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomni.com)
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:36:40 -0000

<donotemailme@ekkinc.com> wrote:

> A little advice needed:

> For a new office I am helping to setup, we are installing a 384k T1
> line, and are planning on using vonage over that T1 line for our phone
> service. We plan to have at least 2 and maybe 3 phone lines through
> vonage. We are looking into cordless multi-line phones. We figure
> we'll need 1 base station and 4-8 handsets. Vonage offers a call-hunt
> feature that will ring the second or third line if the first line is
> busy. Will this multi-line service from vonage work with 1 mutli-line
> base station?

"Probably". Most residential-grade type equipment is designed to work
with multiple (single-line) POTS lines from the telephone service
provider.

Vonage provides a single-line POTS line, on the 'telephone' side of the
'adapter'.

Note, be sure to co-ordinate wih whomever is installing the Internet
'fractional' T-1, to arrange for an enhanced QOS, or at least
priority, for the VOIP traffic on your T-1. Three simultaneous voice
conversations can tie up 50% or more of that pipe. That's a big
enough share that you don't want the risk of 'non-real-time' traffic
pigging the bandwidth.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Hanging up on the New Ma Bell"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Many Domains Registered With False Data"
May be in reply to: donotemailme@ekkinc.com: "Vonage + Multi-Line Cordless Phones?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page