TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: SBC Long Distance and Lack of Customer Service

SBC Long Distance and Lack of Customer Service

tvirl438@hotmail.com
7 Dec 2005 07:27:20 -0800

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: This very lengthy article demonstrates
quite well why so many of us who _can_ do better than have SBC as our
telephone company _choose_ to use some other carrier. I quite well
understand that not everyone can be so fortunate as to have a choice
in local telephone service as we do here in Kansas, and if you are not
able, for whatever reason to choose any other carrier then I have to
sympathize with you unless you happen to like SBC (in its new manifes-
tation as AT&T), but many of us do not like it, and refuse to deal
with it.

This reader, tvirl438@hotmail.com , I am sure thought he would save
time and effort by dealing with SBC via email. Such was not the case,
as you will find out by reading through his various email
correspondence with the company, and their non-committal replies. I
can tell you, from my own experience with SBC, that they tend to say
one thing, and do another. It happened to me a few times also; a rep
makes one claim, then later a totally different result. I will not
trouble you with all my experiences with SBC, but this reader will
describe his experience with SBC's long distance service. PAT]

===============================
(now our reader begins)

The fact that I can hold 2 e-mail conversations with the same company
and get different results should show how incompetent they are. They
increased my monthly amount without telling me. I switched calling
plans in August, because the plan that I was on had an increase in its
rate. When I switched, they notified people who were customers 2 days
before I was. Is this legal?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The correspondence begins with an
explanation by SBC for some action taken. PAT]

Greetings,

Thank you for your recent email.

We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the problems you
encountered. That information in the previous email was taken directly
from your July 28, 2005 statement. It is our goal to provide excellent
customer service. We are sorry if we did not meet that objective. If
you would like it removed please let us know by emailing or calling
the customer care center. The plan in question was another plan that
also changed, no notice was sent of this change because you had
changed plans after the notice of your original plan was changed.
Please let us know if you are still having issue with your long
distance plan.

Customer Care Center:
1-800-924-1000
Hours of operation:
West - Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Pacific

Southwest - Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Central

Midwest - Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Central

Thank you for choosing the SBC family of companies. We value your
business and continued loyalty.

If this response does not address your concern, please reply directly
to this email, or you may get additional information by clicking on the
links below. Another option is cutting and pasting the links into your
browser (see safety note below):

http://sbc.com/help - Find help for your local, long distance,
Internet, wireless, and satellite products and services.
http://ask.sbc.com - Find answers fast to your questions about our SBC
products and services.
http://sbc.com/up2speed - Enroll to receive regular SBC email
communications, special offers, and handy online tips.
http://sbc.com/eov - To review the SBC products and services to which
you've subscribed.
http://sbc.com/mysbc - A single secure point of access to review,
modify, manage, and pay for your services online.

Additionally, you may reach us by phone. Visit http://sbc.com/contactus
for a list of customer service numbers.

Regards,

Your SBC Customer Service Representative

NOTICE

Based on the information you provided, our understanding of your
request, and currently available data, we have addressed your inquiry
to the best of our ability. If we have not answered your question,
reply directly to this email, and we will respond as quickly as
possible during regular business hours. Please note that prices,
terms, and conditions are subject to change, and in the event of a
discrepancy, prices, terms and conditions in any applicable tariffs
govern.

SAFETY TIP

The SBC companies care about your Internet safety. Since even familiar
links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should be careful
when clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're being directed
appropriately, copy and paste the URL into your browser. Learn more
about ensuring a safe Internet experience at http://sbc.com/safety.
(c) 2002-2005 SBC Knowledge Ventures, L.P. All rights reserved.

===========================

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Now he responds to SBC, quoting parts
of his original letter. PAT]

On Mon Dec 05 11:57:29 PST 2005,wrote:

> This never printed just like someone else said in a different e-mail.
> I have 2 threads going with you on this topic. The text below never
> printed on any of my bills.

> RESRD2MW@txmail.sbc.com wrote: Greetings,

> Thank you for your recent email. We are pleased we are able to
assist you with your inquiry. We apologize for the inconvenience of
not giving you the answer you were looking for.

> Effective October 12, 2005, the name of the JustCall (sm) 60 long
distance price plan was changed to "JustCall (sm) 100", and the number
of nationwide direct-dialed minutes will increase from 60 to 100 per
month. The monthly recurring charge will increase from $3.00 to $6.00
and the per minute rate will increase from $0.07 to $0.09 for calls beyond
the 100 minute block. This plan will also no longer be offered,
however, until the plan is discontinued entirely, you may keep it unless you
move or change service. Doing so will result in your being asked to
select another long distance price plan. For more information or to discuss
other long distance plans, please refer to the phone number on the
front of your bill.

> Thank you for choosing the SBC family of companies. We value your
business and continued loyalty.

> If this response does not address your concern, please reply
directly to this email, or you may get additional information by
clicking on the links below. Another option is cutting and pasting the
links into your browser (see safety note below):

> http://sbc.com/help - Find help for your local, long distance,
Internet, wireless, and satellite products and services.
> http://ask.sbc.com - Find answers fast to your questions about our
SBC products and services.
> http://sbc.com/up2speed - Enroll to receive regular SBC email
communications, special offers, and handy online tips.
> http://sbc.com/eov - To review the SBC products and services to which
you've subscribed.
> http://sbc.com/mysbc - A single secure point of access to review,
modify, manage, and pay for your services online.

> Additionally, you may reach us by phone. Visit
http://sbc.com/contactus for a list of customer service numbers.

> Regards,

> Your SBC Customer Service Representative

> NOTICE
> Based on the information you provided, our understanding of your
request, and currently available data, we have addressed your inquiry
to the best of our ability. If we have not answered your question,
reply directly to this email, and we will respond as quickly as
possible during regular business hours. Please note that prices,
terms, and conditions are subject to change, and in the event of a
discrepancy, prices, terms and conditions in any applicable tariffs govern.

> SAFETY TIP

> The SBC companies care about your Internet safety. Since even
familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should
be careful when clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're
being directed appropriately, copy and paste the URL into your
browser. Learn more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at
http://sbc.com/safety.

> (c) 2002-2005 SBC Knowledge Ventures, L.P. All rights reserved.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: He writes to SBC again and complains
that they _still_ are not adressing his original questions. PAT]

> On Fri Dec 02 17:25:07 PST 2005:

>> If you look at the text below, that doesn't talk about the plan in
question. That is the plan I left because of the $2 fee. Where does it
state an increase in my plan that I cancelled yesterday from $3 to $6?
This month's statement had a $6 plan. Where does your text mention $6?

> > RESREDMW@txmail.sbc.com wrote:
> > Greetings,

> > Thank you for your recent email.

> > I understand your concerns regarding the increase to your SBC Long
Distance calling plan. Your 7/28/05 SBC billing statement included the
following message under the SBC Long Distance portion of your bill
regarding the recent long distance increase:

> > "Your Rates, Terms or Services Have Changed:
> > Effective September 12, 2005 the
> > Long Distance III -- JustCall Standard
> > calling plan will have a recurring monthly charge
> > of $2.00. The domestic direct-dialed per minute
> > rate for this plan will remain $0.10 per minute.
> > This plan is no longer available for sale,
> > however until this plan is discontinued entirely,
> > you may keep this plan until you move or change
> > your service, at which time you will be asked to
> > select another long distance price plan. SBC has
> > a variety of plans available. If you would like
> > to discuss other long distance calling plans,
> > please call 1-888-617-2253. Thank you for
> > choosing SBC Long Distance."

> > Our records indicate that this billing statement is still available
online for your viewing. To view the details of your 7/28/05 bill:

http://www.sbc.com/mysbc with your User ID and Password.

> > 2. Click on View My Bill under Current Bill Summary.
> > 3. Select the month you wish to view from the pull down menu at
> > the top of the page.

> > Thank you for choosing the SBC family of companies. We value your
business and continued loyalty.

> > If this response does not address your concern, please reply
directly to this email, or you may get additional information by
clicking on the links below. Another option is cutting and pasting the
links into your browser (see safety note below):

> > http://sbc.com/help - Find help for your local, long distance,
Internet, wireless, and satellite products and services.
> > http://ask.sbc.com - Find answers fast to your questions about our
SBC products and services.
> > http://sbc.com/up2speed - Enroll to receive regular SBC email
communications, special offers, and handy online tips.
> > http://sbc.com/eov - To review the SBC products and services to
which you've subscribed.
> > http://sbc.com/mysbc - A single secure point of access to review,
modify, manage, and pay for your services online.

> > Additionally, you may reach us by phone. Visit
http://sbc.com/contactus for a list of customer service numbers.

> > Regards,

> > Your SBC Customer Service Representative

> > NOTICE
> > Based on the information you provided, our understanding of your
request, and currently available data, we have addressed your inquiry to
the best of our ability. If we have not answered your question, reply
directly to this email, and we will respond as quickly as possible
during regular business hours. Please note that prices, terms, and
conditions are subject to change, and in the event of a discrepancy,
prices, terms and conditions in any applicable tariffs govern.

> > SAFETY TIP

> > The SBC companies care about your Internet safety. Since even
familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should
be careful when clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're
being directed appropriately, copy and paste the URL into your
browser. Learn
more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at
http://sbc.com/safety.

> > (c) 2002-2005 SBC Knowledge Ventures, L.P. All rights reserved.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Let's try it again, shall we? PAT]

> > On Fri Dec 02 11:52:08 PST 2005,wrote:

> > > When was I informed about the rate increase? Please show me which
statement this was on. Can a live person give me an honest answer? 3
phone calls and 2 e-mails later, still no one competent has responded to
my question.

> > > You can adjust your rates, but you also need to inform your
customers about the increase. I joined the plan after you sent out the
information.

> > > RESREDMW@txmail.sbc.com wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your recent email.

> > > We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the problems
you encountered. It is our goal to provide excellent customer service.
We are sorry if we did not meet that objective.

> > > We appreciate your inquiry about our rates. SBC companies have
been proudly serving its customers for more than 125 years. Like any
business in a highly competitive industry, we occasionally adjust our
rates to ensure that we are aligned with current market
conditions. Factors in our pricing decisions include our costs of
doing business, the value
our services provide, and our need to invest in the future.

> > > Please don't hesitate to email us again if there is anything else
we can do for you. Thank you for taking out the time to email SBC. We
definitely value your business.

> > > If this response does not address your concern, please reply
directly to this email, or you may get additional information by
clicking on the links below. Another option is cutting and pasting the links
into your browser (see safety note below):

> > > http://sbc.com/repair - A self-help resource for your residential
or small business repair questions.
> > > http://sbc.com/help - Find help for your local, long distance,
Internet, wireless, and satellite products and services.
> > > http://ask.sbc.com - Find answers fast to your questions about
our SBC products and services.
> > > http://sbc.com/up2speed - Enroll to receive regular SBC email
communications, special offers, and handy online tips.
> > > http://sbc.com/eov - To review the SBC products and services to
which you've subscribed.
> > > http://sbc.com/mysbc - A single secure point of access to review,
modify, manage, and pay for your services online.

> > > Additionally, you may reach us by phone. Visit
http://sbc.com/contactus for a list of customer service numbers.

> > > Regards,

> > > Your SBC Customer Service Representative

> > > NOTICE

> > > Based on the information you provided, our understanding of your
request, and currently available data, we have addressed your inquiry
to the best of our ability. If we have not answered your question,
reply directly to this email, and we will respond as quickly as
possible during regular business hours. Please note that prices,
terms, and conditions are subject to change, and in the event of a
discrepancy, prices, terms and conditions in any applicable tariffs
govern.

> > > SAFETY TIP

> > > The SBC companies care about your Internet safety. Since even
familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should
be careful when clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're
being directed appropriately, copy and paste the URL into your
browser. Learn more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at
http://sbc.com/safety.

> > > (c) 2002-2005 SBC Knowledge Ventures, L.P. All rights reserved.

I had AT&T for 2 years, was never charged a dime. AT&T then instituted
a $5 monthly minimum. I have SBC local service. At the time, SBC was
entering the long distance market. They offered me a plan that also
had no monthly charge. This worked for about a year. The promotional
period, which I was not warned about, ran out. I called them and they
had another plan to switch me to that also had no monthly fee. I asked
them how much it would be to remove long distance from my line. They
told me $17. Free sounded better than $17 so I switched to the new
plan. Nine months passed and I was then warned
that my plan would not be sold to any new customers, details to follow.

The next month the details were that I would be charged $2 per month,
plus 10 cents per minute for all calls. I called SBC and asked if they
had any free plans. None. They did however have a plan that would be
$3 per month for the first 60 minutes. I asked if there were any
promotional periods. She said none. I made the switch in August. This
worked for 3 months, the first month was even free. I would use about
50 minutes per month, was only paying $3. Then my bill came
yesterday. My $3 plan for 60 minutes became a $6 plan for 100 minutes.
Do the math, I am getting doubly screwed. I called them and asked for
an explanation. My plan had terminated again. I was told they
mentioned it on the July statement. They did not. I asked to speak to
a supervisor. She didn't understand the request.

I asked to "speak to someone who had more brains". I got put into a
queue for the supervisor. Same woman came back 2 minutes later and
said that her supervisor would tell me the same thing. I asked how
much to remove long distance, I was told $10.51. I agreed. I will use
the calling cards and my cell phone for long distance. I only have
SBC local service so I can get DSL cheaper through another provider.
Why are you doing this to your customers?

companies. We value your business and continued loyalty. Our goal is
to provide you with the personal attention you deserve. We make every
effort to respond to each email individually and address each customer's
specific needs. We will make every attempt to respond to your inquiry
within 1-2 business days, Monday through Friday. Your patience is appreciated.

visit our online self-help tool, where many customers have found fast
answers to their questions. Cut and paste ask.sbc.com into your browser

(see safety tip below).

service with your SBC local service provider or add features to your
existing account, please visit the address listed below and click on
your
state to use our Shopping Cart: sbc.com/products

service with your SBC local service provider or add features to your
existing account, please visit sbc.com/business_customers, select "View
Products and Services" and your state.

addresses below:

Internet, wireless and satellite products and services.
communications, special offers and handy online tips.
which you've subscribed.

change, and in the event of a discrepancy, prices, terms and conditions
in any applicable tariffs govern.

familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should
guard against clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're being
directed appropriately, always copy and paste the URL into your
browser.
Learn more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at sbc.com/safety.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Now, our fearless reader tries yet one
more time to get a specific answer from a real person, he supposes, by
writing to the 'name' which has been replying to him all along. PAT]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: We told you early on that there were
_two_ threads in progress. Above this point was one thread, and now
here is the other thread, again, starting with a reply from SBC to
his earlier correspondence. PAT]

Greetings,

Thank you for your recent email.

Based on the information provided in your request, we are unable to
process the adjustment of $3.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Even though in thread #1 above they
said they 'would remove it' from his account. PAT]

If you have any additional questions regarding this issue, please visit
our Web Site at http://sbc.com/contactus or call the SBC Billing
Department at 1-800-924-1000.

Hours of operations are:

Monday-Friday 7:30 AM-9PM,
Saturday 8AM-5PM (LOCAL),
Closed Sunday & SBC Holidays.

Thank you for choosing the SBC family of companies. We appreciate your
[...]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What brought this latest thread on was
reader's simple request to receive a small credit, as follows: PAT]

On Mon Dec 05 11:59:47 PST 2005, wrote:

> I will ask you this question again: If it never printed on my
statement, due to your system and no fault of mine, should I be held
responsible for this?

> How many other customers have you pulled this one on? Can you
credit me the $3 difference?

> RESREDMW@txmail.sbc.com wrote:
> Greetings ,

> Thank you for your recent email.

> On behalf of SBC Wisconsin, I would like to extend my sincere
apology for the problems you encountered regarding the confusion and
our delay in answering your original inquiry. It is our goal to
provide excellent customer service, and I am sorry that we did not meet that objective.

> The change in your SBC Long Distance plan from the Just Call 60
Standard II to the Just Call 100 Standard II became effective 10/12/05.

After reviewing our records, we show that you ordered the Just Call 60
Standard II on 8/12/05. Since you ordered the plan after your SBC Long
Distance bill date, which is the 10th of each month, the August bill
message that informed customers of the change did not print on your
8/28/05 statement.

> If this response does not address your concern, please reply directly
to this email, or you may get additional information by clicking on the
links below. Another option is cutting and pasting the links into your
browser (see safety note below):

> http://sbc.com/help - Find help for your local, long distance,
Internet, wireless, and satellite products and services.
> http://ask.sbc.com - Find answers fast to your questions about our
SBC products and services.
> http://sbc.com/up2speed - Enroll to receive regular SBC email
communications, special offers, and handy online tips.
> http://sbc.com/eov - To review the SBC products and services to which
you've subscribed.
> http://sbc.com/mysbc - A single secure point of access to review,
modify, manage, and pay for your services online.

> Additionally, you may reach us by phone. Visit
http://sbc.com/contactus for a list of customer service numbers.

> Regards,

> Your SBC Customer Service Representative

> NOTICE
> Based on the information you provided, our understanding of your
request, and currently available data, we have addressed your inquiry
to the best of our ability. If we have not answered your question,
reply directly to this email, and we will respond as quickly as
possible during regular business hours. Please note that prices,
terms, and conditions are subject to change, and in the event of a
discrepancy, prices, terms and conditions in any applicable tariffs govern.

> SAFETY TIP
> The SBC companies care about your Internet safety. Since even
familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should be
careful when clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're being
directed appropriately, copy and paste the URL into your browser. Learn
more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at http://sbc.com/safety.
> (c) 2002-2005 SBC Knowledge Ventures, L.P. All rights reserved.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Still not willing to give up, our
reader writes his 'service representative' once more. Remember, this
is the second concurrent thread we are on now. PAT]

> On Fri Dec 02 17:33:40 PST 2005, wrote:

>> Read what I wrote you and then read what you wrote me. We are
comparing apples and oranges. I will be informing all of my friends
and co-workers of the problems that I have been having. Enjoy losing
their business too. This is why I chose to drop long distance
completely yesterday. I have tried to be nice about this, but this is
the third time in 24 months that you have allowed me to go into a plan
that has terminated within 12 months, the most recent only being 3
months. That is why the plan you are talking about and the plan I am
talking about do not match.

>> I did a Google search on problems with your company and I was not
surprised to see that you have been giving other customers customer no
service.

>> This is a lot of work to try to get $6 out of your company, but I
enjoy the fact that it is taking your company more than $6 in time to
fix this. Your e-mail below does not explain any $6 charge.

> [...]

to the best of our ability. If we have not answered your question,
reply directly to this email, and we will respond as quickly as
possible during regular business hours. Please note that prices,
terms, and conditions are subject to change, and in the event of a
discrepancy, prices, terms and conditions in any applicable tariffs
govern.

> > SAFETY TIP

> > The SBC companies care about your Internet safety. Since even
familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should
be careful when clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're
being directed appropriately, copy and paste the URL into your
browser. Learn
more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at
http://sbc.com/safety.

> > (c) 2002-2005 SBC Knowledge Ventures, L.P. All rights reserved.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Our reader asks them still another
time. PAT]

> [...]

request, and currently available data, we have addressed your inquiry
to the best of our ability. If we have not answered your question, reply
directly to this email, and we will respond as quickly as possible
during regular business hours. Please note that prices, terms, and
conditions are subject to change, and in the event of a discrepancy,
prices, terms and conditions in any applicable tariffs govern.

> > > SAFETY TIP
> > > The SBC companies care about your Internet safety. Since even
familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should
be careful when clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're
being directed appropriately, copy and paste the URL into your
browser. Learn more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at
http://sbc.com/safety.

> > > (c) 2002-2005 SBC Knowledge Ventures, L.P. All rights reserved.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Reader explains further:

> [...]

existing account, please visit the address listed below and click on
your state to use our Shopping Cart: sbc.com/products

service with your SBC local service provider or add features to your
existing account, please visit sbc.com/business_customers, select
"View Products and Services" and your state.

addresses below:

Internet, wireless and satellite products and services.
communications, special offers and handy online tips.
which you've subscribed.

change, and in the event of a discrepancy, prices, terms and conditions
in any applicable tariffs govern.

familiar links can be used to misdirect and defraud, consumers should
guard against clicking directly on hyperlinks. To be sure you're being
directed appropriately, always copy and paste the URL into your
browser. Learn more about ensuring a safe Internet experience at

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: As for me, I would have long since
given up, but not our sturdy reader. He makes one final attempt to get
his message across. PAT]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And thus ends (as of this time) the
second thread in this concurrent set of two email exchanges. Is it
all just as clear as mud? SBC obviously does not intend to give him
the money (three dollars? six dollars?) they screwed him out of. I do
not know, but they have by now probably sent him another set of
'safety hints' and 'warnings' about how to click on their links. I
sure am glad I do not have to deal with them any longer, except for
the once per week promotional mailings telling me how much they miss
me as a customer and how if I agree to come back and get screwed again
they will (they claim) offer me two or three months of take it all
service for $19.95 plus DSL for another $19.95 or so.

I told you when this customer correspondence started with his 'service
representative' that it was a long message, and indeed it was. If
there is _anyway -- anyway at all_ that you can dump SBC/AT&T and go
with someone else, I strongly urge you to do it. Is there any UNE
operation in your community? (Such as Prairie Stream or Gage). Get
over to them. Dump your DSL and go with cable or satellite for your
internet if possible. Even SBC is now trying to undercut operations
like Prairie Stream ($24.95 for take it all, plus one hundred minutes
of long distance) by quoting 'only' $19.95 for their package that is
the same thing. But you know, SBC tends to lie (see the above message)
and stall and apologize repeatedly for same but never really give any
customer service. If you had the patience to read all the above email
send to our reader/user, and _still_ want to stay with SBC, then be my
guest. PAT]

Go to Next message: cnnmoney@telecom-digest.org: "Hanging up on the New Ma Bell"
Go to Previous message: Jim Stewart: "Re: Communications History"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page