TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Hypothetical SxS Question

Hypothetical SxS Question

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
7 Dec 2005 10:40:16 -0800

This question is purely speculative only, not for real use.

Suppose we wanted to install a PABX using step-by-step gear in a condo
complex. We need 250 stations. My question regards the most
efficient station number assignments.

One person says the stations ought to have a four digit number that
corresponds to the apartment number. There are 19 buildings with
10-15 units per building. So unit #103 would get phone number 0103
and unit #1513 would be phone 1513.

While the above is easier to remember, wouldn't that be a waste of SxS
terminals and require more switch units without any gain in
efficiency? Isn't a four digit code inherently more complex than a
three digit in an SxS environment? I think the phone ought to be
numbered strictly sequentially, starting from 111 and going upward.

The Bell System history talks about "graded multiples" to more
efficiently use trunks and switchgear in central offices, but I don't
think that would apply in this application.

Now if we wanted to implement the above using modern technology, would
only a PC be required with appropriate software and cards? I guess
we'd need capacity for about five conversations at once.

P.S. (For real). We had in-house maintenance staff which had three
Nextel "push to talk" walkie talkie cell phones -- two guys and the
manager. The maintainence staff was let go and replaced by outside
contractor. The phones were surplus. They had to pay $600 to get out
of the contract (stll cheaper than the 18 months left ). The
homeowners were annoyed at that. Some were annoyed at the termination
of the inhouse staff, but not very much.

Thanks.

Public replies please.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The problem as I see it with matching
apartment number to intercom number is a security issue. Do you really
want to let strangers know that the tenant in apartment 103 (0103) or
the tenant in apartment 1513 (1513) is or is not at home? With the
Bell System 'Interphone' (or the competitor's 'Enterphone')
arrangement, the intercom numbers were used randomly for more security.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Cellular-News: "Cellular-News for Wednesday 7th December 2005"
Go to Previous message: Eric Friedebach: "For RIM: Careful What You Ask For"
May be reply: Neal McLain: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: Carl Navarro: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: Joe Morris: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: Carl Zwanzig: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Hypothetical SxS Question"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page