TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Auto Call Forward

Re: Auto Call Forward

harrisloeser@yahoo.com
28 Nov 2005 10:10:18 -0800

This is a standard feature on some business class VoIP based unified
communications packages. In CallTower's outsourced implementation of
Cisco VoIP, users can create a series of forwarding "locations" with
the various phone numbers where they might like to get their calls
(weekend house, cell phone, home office, etc) the user, using an on
line private portal interface can select individual locations to
receive forwarding, or have calls route o one after the other. The
selection and sequence are infintely adjustable over the web
interface.

This is efficient, useful and can be a career saver in the event of a
physical disaster of any kind.

Harris Loeser
www.calltower.com
hloeser@calltower.com
415-869-8979

> I know of a feature that when you want incoming calls forwarded
> to let's say your cellular you can reconfigure the office phone.
> However you have to be onsite to do so. But what if you can't get to
> the phone. Is there a way of doing this remotely or is there some kind of
> auto call forward feature so that if line goes down the system
> automatically forwards incoming calls to the cellular.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You did not say what is your telco in
> your community, but many/most telcos offer a version of 'remote call
> forwarding' which allows you to call into a specified number and then
> enter a password followed by _the number you wish to forward_ and give
> it the usual *72/*73 commands at that point. To prevent others from
> forwarding (or turning off the forwarding) against your will it is
> passworded. The number you dial into may or may not be on the same
> exchange as your number, but it is on the _same switch or ESS
> machine._ The number you dial into is sort of a 'terminal' (like a
> central office technican would use in the office) to deal with your
> phone remotely. But it is very limited in its command set; you can do
> *72 or *73 (whatever code turns on and off call forwarding) and not
> much else. I used to have that on my Illinois Bell line in
> Chicago. The idea is that people leave home, _then_ discover they
> forgot to forward their phone. I think when I lived in Chicago I
> dialed something like 312-334-9995 or similar, but no where close to
> my own number. After a ring or two and a click it answered by asking
> for 'my number' (and then upon entering same) it asked for 'password'
> and upon getting that it asked for 'command?' I could enter *72 or *73
> (which in Chicago in those days was turn on/off call fowarding) and in
> the case of *72 the number to which calls were to be forwarded,
> ten-digit format. It then quoted back audibly what it had done, asked
> for approval, and disconnected. Other 'star commands' (*60 *67, *71,
> *77, etc) were ignored.

> I do not think it was called 'remote call forwarding' since that is
> the name of the service set up to automatically forward your calls to
> some long distance point. Perhaps it was 'remote forwarding' (without
> the word 'call'). You would have to ask around. If you have two actual
> phone lines and numbers (not just a virtual number like 'call waiting')
> I think you can now purchase ( http://sandman.com for example) a gizmo
> to do the same thing. A teeny little box with a plug in for each of
> the modular cords (for your two lines); you call in on one of the
> lines and use it to manipulate what you want the other line to do. I
> suggest you write to mike@sandman.com to get more specifics on this.
> Maybe when you write to Mr. Sandman you could cut and paste your
> inquiry and my response so he has a better idea what you want. PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: John Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Jack Ruby"
Go to Previous message: cliff@thesolutioncafe.com: "Leaving Vonage, Want to Keep Number"
May be in reply to: asdf: "Auto Call Forward"