TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Alger Hiss et al.

Re: Alger Hiss et al.

Henry (henry999@eircom.net)
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:13:42 +0200

Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:

> <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

>> A single person from Syracuse NY, who owned some grocery stores,
>> somehow managed to terrify the film/radio/TV business into firing
>> fingered communists.

> Oops, you've lost me now. Who's this, then?

Laurence Johnson was his name.

I just chanced upon this Molly Ivins story, which fortuitously answers
my question. Since you didn't really know either, I thought I'd share.

> An outfit of professional commie-hunters called AWARE, Inc., run by a
> guy named Vincent Hartnett ... to vet performers for commie
> sympathies ...
> Should a network or agency refuse to play along, Hartnett's friend
> Laurence Johnson, a grocery magnate from upstate New York,
> would pull the sponsor's products from his grocery shelves until they
> caved in.

http://www.texasobserver.org/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=2081

cheers,

Henry

Go to Next message: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: Mtn. View Accepts Google's Offer of Free WiFi"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Nokia 6340i Cell Phone"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page