TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NN0 Central Office Codes

Re: NN0 Central Office Codes

Garrett Wollman (wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu)
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:24:39 UTC

In article <telecom24.510.12@telecom-digest.org>, Fred Goldstein
<SeeSigForEmail@wn6.wn.net> wrote:

> If there was ever an Allston CO, it was gone many years ago.

I don't think so. It's located on the short diagonal street behind
the gas station at the corner of Western and Harvard. Now it's
probably just a remote wirecenter on the Brighton CO.

(When I lived in Brighton, I also had an ASPinwall (617-277) number
and Brookline ZIP code. This did not result in lower insurance rates;
the insurance companies have maps that show where the town line lies
-- as do the city and town parking offices. The other important
Brookline exchange you didn't mention was BEAcon (617-232).)

> The 617-931 choke exchange is listed in the LERG to the Cambridge 02T
> tandem, a DMS-200. It's one of two tandems in VZ's 210 Bent St. CO
> (the other is a 5E; a 4E next door, at 250, has been
> decommissioned). If MIT still gets its dial tone from VZ, it comes
> out of Bent St.

MIT has its own 5ESS and has for a long time (it was one of the first
5E's sold to a non-telco customer). There's a project on now to
figure out what to do about it before it comes up for renewal next in
a few years' time.

Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those | search for greater freedom.
of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003)

Go to Next message: AES: "Re: High-Tech Sniffers Try to Stop 'Dirty' Bombs"
Go to Previous message: john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com: "Re: French Youth Use Internet to Plan Riots"
May be in reply to: Neal McLain: "NN0 Central Office Codes"