TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

Monty Solomon (monty@roscom.com)
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 00:11:27 -0500

Mark Russinovich

FYI

Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

Last week when I was testing the latest version of RootkitRevealer
(RKR) I ran a scan on one of my systems and was shocked to see
evidence of a rootkit. Rootkits are cloaking technologies that hide
files, Registry keys, and other system objects from diagnostic and
security software, and they are usually employed by malware attempting
to keep their implementation hidden

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

CD DRM Makes Computers Less Secure
Tuesday November 1, 2005 by J. Alex Halderman

Yesterday, Sysinternals's Mark Russinovich posted an excellent
analysis of a CD copy protection system called XCP2. This scheme,
created by British-based First4Internet, has been deployed on many
Sony/BMG albums released in the last six months. Like the SunnComm
MediaMax system that I wrote about in 2003, XCP2 uses an "active"
software-based approach in an attempt to stifle ripping and copying.
The first time an XCP2-protected CD is inserted into a Windows system,
the Windows Autorun feature launches an installer, which copies a
small piece of software onto the computer. From then on, if the user
attempts to copy or rip a protected CD, the software replaces the
music with static.

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=919

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Sony CD Protection Sparks Security Concerns"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "BlackBerry 8700c Accelerates in Cingular Fast Lane"
May be reply: Jim Haynes: "Re: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far"
May be reply: Monty Solomon: "Re: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far"
May be reply: Denise Reinecke: "Re: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far"
May be reply: Seth Breidbart: "Re: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page