TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Alger Hiss [was: Re: Privacy Worries? Don't Print in color]

Re: Alger Hiss [was: Re: Privacy Worries? Don't Print in color]

Henry (henry999@eircom.net)
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:51:23 +0300

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> A single person from Syracuse NY, who owned some grocery stores,
> somehow managed to terrify the film/radio/TV business into firing
> fingered communists.

Oops, you've lost me now. Who's this, then?

> McCarthy eventually got censured by the Senate for his antics. He
> died soon after.

Two and a half years = 'soon after'? It was more than 5% of his life.

By the way, one web-bio of Sen. McCarthy

http://www.apl.org/history/mccarthy/biography.html

includes the following tidbit:

> In July, 1942 ... McCarthy took a leave of absence from his [judgeship]
> and was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Marines. ... stationed in
> the Pacific, he participated...

> ... In April, 1945, having resigned his military commission, McCarthy
> was re-elected without opposition to the circuit court.

In the spring of 1945, the war in the Pacific was far from over. I'm
curious as to how/why he was allowed to 'resign' from the service
while millions of other men were committed to 'the duration plus six
months'.

Cheers,

Henry

Go to Next message: Matthew Jones: "Ebay Fraudsters Caught, Jailed in Britain"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: NJ Students Ordered to Take Down Blogs"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page