TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering

Re: More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering

Mark Roberts (markrobt@myrealbox.com)
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:32:36 -0000

Tim@Backhome.org <Tim@Backhome.org> had written:

> Mark Roberts wrote:

>> Thanks to the clipping files at the History Room of the Oakland Public
>> Library, I have been able to pin down the date that San Francisco and
>> Oakland went fully to 2L-5N numbers: August 10, 1947, a Sunday, at 12
>> midnight.

> I don't believe any telco has done a cut on Sunday night. It was
> typically Saturday night (or perhaps 2:00 AM on Sunday) in early post
> WWII years. Then, Bell tended to do ESS cutovers at 2:00 AM on
> Saturdays, so they would have the weekend to work out kinks.

But read the article: It *clearly* states that the switches would not
have full capacity until 6 a.m. that Sunday and that work would not
commence until the preceding Saturday night.

Mark Roberts | "A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity,
Oakland, Cal.| but rather by touching both at once."
NO HTML MAIL | -- Blaise Pascal
Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.

Go to Next message: Mark Roberts: "Re: 1960s Long Distance From San Francisco"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering"
May be in reply to: Mark Roberts: "More on San Francisco and Oakland Numbering"