TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Google Loses Name 'gmail' in Lawsuit Against Company

Re: Google Loses Name 'gmail' in Lawsuit Against Company

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:20:13 -0400

In article <telecom24.474.1@telecom-digest.org>, Reuters News Wire
<reuters@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> Google has already changed the name of its email service from Gmail to
> Googlemail in Germany, but said it does not plan to change the name in
> any other countries.

I'm surprised that Google is so wedded to the Gmail name. Most of
their other products and services seem to be called Google something:
Google Earth, Goole Maps, Google Desktop, Google Groups, for instance.
One of their most valuable assets is the Google brand, so it seems
strange that they don't want to use it for this service.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Paul Coxwell: "Re: TV Show - Legacy Phone in Scene"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "My First SMS Spam"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "Google Loses Name 'gmail' in Lawsuit Against Company"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page